Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fight The HST!  (Read 148469 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Fight The HST!
« Reply #405 on: July 01, 2010, 10:09:57 AM »

How many people in BC do those businesses employ?  With the potential cost savings to their operations resulting from the HST, how many more people in BC could they employ?  If you boycott all of those businesses, how many British Columbians will lose their jobs as a result?  Just thought I'd ask.

I don't think you have to worry too much that anyone other than Novabonker will be doing any boycotting.....     ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #406 on: July 01, 2010, 10:15:23 AM »

There's other business waiting in the wings to take my dimes. More of a transfer of business, like the transfer of taxation that's been foisted on the electorate. However, should the business make a point of not supporting the COC stance publicly and loudly, I would reconsider. Other than that, my money goes elsewhere. I'm not saying it will be at all effective or am I suggesting anyone else do it, but it's just my own way of registering my voice, as I will be informing the companies why.
http://

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #407 on: July 03, 2010, 07:35:19 AM »

Drum roll please-
The fine folks that want a review of the HST legislation seem to be attached at the wallet to Campbell Inc.
WHAT A SHOCKER!!!:
John Allan, President & CEO, Council of Forest Industries ($25,215)
Pierre Gratton, President & CEO, Mining Association of BC ($13,180)
Philip Hochstein, President, Independent Contractors & Businesses Assoc. ($60,160)
Wayne Hoskins, President, Western Convenience Stores Association ($500 worth of penny candy)
Rick Jeffery, President & CEO, Coast Forest Products Association ($62,300, combined)
John Winter, President & CEO, BC Chamber of Commerce $0.00

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #408 on: July 03, 2010, 11:25:59 AM »

Drum roll please-
The fine folks that want a review of the HST legislation seem to be attached at the wallet to Campbell Inc.
WHAT A SHOCKER!!!:
Philip Hochstein, President, Independent Contractors & Businesses Assoc. ($60,160)
Wayne Hoskins, President, Western Convenience Stores Association ($500 worth of penny candy)
Rick Jeffery, President & CEO, Coast Forest Products Association ($62,300, combined)
Yep.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #409 on: July 03, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »

Drum roll please-
WHAT A SHOCKER!!!:

This argument is old.... Of course everybody is going to support their favorite team (ask Chris about his...  ;D)

Did you expect business to be sending support dollars to the anti-business, pro-union NDP??

I believe the Liberals have been waivering on their HST resolve and Business doesn't want them backing out.

HST is good for business and what is good for business is also good for creating jobs! That's why Business is challenging this.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #410 on: July 03, 2010, 10:23:23 PM »

This argument is old.... Of course everybody is going to support their favorite team (ask Chris about his...  ;D)

Did you expect business to be sending support dollars to the anti-business, pro-union NDP??

I believe the Liberals have been waivering on their HST resolve and Business doesn't want them backing out.

HST is good for business and what is good for business is also good for creating jobs! That's why Business is challenging this.

I have picked a winner this time, I mean a loser a the Lib's are now finished, the middle class has spoken, arrogance, secrecy, scandals, deceit, attack on the environment and poor money managers they have been. I am working on a letter to the editor of the Vancouver Province relating why I feel Campbell was wrong in his column of the other day. It may not get published there but it will here. ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #411 on: July 03, 2010, 11:07:10 PM »

It may not get published there but it will here. ;D

I always enjoy some entertaining reading Chris!   ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #412 on: July 04, 2010, 02:28:59 AM »

I always enjoy some entertaining reading Chris!   ;D
Very good, read The Journal.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #413 on: July 04, 2010, 05:58:57 AM »

This argument is old.... Of course everybody is going to support their favorite team (ask Chris about his...  ;D)

So you're admitting Campbell Inc. is for sale to the highest bidder? That's a sad commentary on our elected officials, but hardly a surprise, given the fire sale our assets are being flogged off at to their "cheerleaders". Wavering and showing large cracks in the foundation.Do you feel this is the correct thing to do MORALLY AF? Should GOOD government wear a "For Sale" sign and go to friends and insiders? Do you not find it repugnant that money going into their party coffers is buying government favours and currys their decisions? You may not, but the average citizen is becoming repulsed by this.

http://www2.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/columnists/story.html?id=777f94c3-4021-480b-9365-164272d9e02b

Read this (I like this snippet)

Just So You Know: Here's a small snapshot of the Liberals' next big problem. Oak Bay Marine Group's Bob Wright, whose firm has donated several thousand dollars to the Liberals, met a few weeks ago with Liberal MLA Ida Chong, whom he has supported over the years. In the bluntest terms, he broke with her and the government over the HST. He said he was not only not going to support Chong, he was going to actively help defeat her.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:38:31 AM by Novabonker »

CameronT120

« Reply #414 on: July 04, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »

Where have you been?  Private parties, companies and organizations have always provided financial support to whichever party represents their interests.  All levels of government do this, from the Feds right down to your local, municipal government.  You may find it 'repugnant', but to be surprised by this is, well... surprising.  If you find the practice so repugnant, I hope your going to show the same indignation when you find out that whatever party you support also accepts these donations.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #415 on: July 04, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »

I'm not shocked, just retching with disgust. I retched with some of the antics of the previous party too. Campbell is up to his neck in a blend of arrogance and corruption, but  the tide is rising, soon to cover him completely. It's way past time that government represented the electorate and not "friends, bag men, and insiders".

Read the too soon retired Harvey Oberfeld's take on the GST:

http://harveyoberfeld.ca/blog/

Or Bill Tielman refuteing to Campbell's lies and spin: (slight left curve- slow down)

http://billtieleman.blogspot.com/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #416 on: July 08, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »

I always enjoy some entertaining reading Chris!   ;D
Here you go. ;D

Letter to the editor re The Province June 30, 2110. Final word on the
> Harmonized Sales Tax
>
> I find Premier Campbell's remarks on the HST interesting. One point I
> focused on was how he states that they have cut back on taxes since
> being elected, 37 percent since 2001 the Premier says in the article.
> This is true but when we see the financial mess we are in now how wise a
> move was that? We now have had a ballooning deficit the last few years
> with the news now filled how our education, and health care services
> that we so treasure in British Columbia continue to suffer. Many other
> ministry including the Ministry of the Environment has been slashed to
> the bare bones. The Liberal party always boasts about these tax
> reductions but it leads one to ask was it more about using this
> statement time and time again just to get elected 2 more times then good
> fiscal management? The proof now seems to appear in the pudding as
> because of the financial mess we are in the Liberals, in a desperate
> move have had to bring in the HST to try to prevent our deficit from
> growing even more.
> Then we had the Olympics that I have to admit I enjoyed but I believe
> our tax base in British Columbia is too small to be able the afford the
> tax dollars that had to be spent to put this on. More now money added to
> our deficit. Where do we get it from well the HST now appears to be one
> of them while core services continue to face financial hardships.
>
> Also the fish farm issue has been handled so badly, they ignore the
> evidence provided by Dr Alexandra Morton and others, just another
> example of how they really do not seem to care about the environment and
> our wild salmon that are a cornerstone our British Columbia. The same
> wild salmon that have helped build our province with these salmon
> substantiating our First Nation people for thousands of years.
>
> I personally worked as a volunteer on a Valley Liberal Riding
> Association for eight years, since 2001 when the Liberals were first
> elected. I was honored and pleased at first to be asked to serve in that
> capacity and attended the liberals convention in Whistler where I was
> recognized as volunteer of the year in my riding. I also attended a
> president council one time and several other Liberal functions. I
> thought I could make a difference and contribute to our great province
> of British Columbia where our family has resided and raised our families
> for 6 generations with my great grandparents, grandparents and parents
> who were builders of BC, the best place in earth. Actually with my MLA
> we did a few things for the betterment of our area, I held him as a
> friend for many years even before he was elected in 2001, he worked hard
> for us in Chilliwack.
>
> I know being government MLA or a cabinet minister is not easy and some
> time hard decisions have to be faced but over the years I saw this once
> fresh government change and lose touch with the people, the people that
> put them in power to represent them. Transparency on so many issues
> disappeared. Many other ways of being good government slipped away also,
> we are all familiar with them. Two years ago I was so disillusioned and
> left the party and did not renew my Liberal membership. I am glad I did
> as the way the HST would have been the final nail for me as it now will
> be for this once great party in less than 3 years time from now.
>
> Where do I go from here, back to my family roots of the NDP where my
> mother's cousin son Grant Notley was the NDP leader in Alberta before
> he was killed in the 1980's in a plane crash or will it be another party
> that will surface in the years ahead.
>
> All I ask is please donot do what the Liberals have done, lose the trust
> of many of us, over 700,000 who have signed the anti HST petition . Bill
> Vanderzalm made mistakes as well when he was in Campbell's shoes as
> Premier but he has not made one this time in leading the campaign to
> abolish the HST. FANTASTIC work Bill.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #417 on: July 09, 2010, 07:07:27 AM »

Good article Chris.

I actually agree with some of it!  ;D

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #418 on: July 09, 2010, 08:20:09 AM »

--Interesting article and I am in a similar quandary. I do not see a current party that I could whole hearted support.
--I have never been a fan of blind faith affiliation with any one party.
--I still naively believe that a good meaning person from any party could be a good representative. The dictatorships which always seem to follow after a few years have to stop.  Our flyfishing club only allows  the president to sit for two consecutive terms then they are out. We always seem to find qualified people to take their place. There has to be more "free votes" allowed thus allowing the MLA's to actually represent and pay more attention to their constituents. I don't want my MLA coming to me off the record saying they don't agree with the legislation and there are better alternatives but in public they have to support and in Parliament they vote the party line.
--With more concensus based legislation... that is free vote.. I would expect each MLA to become more accountable. They would not have the excuse that they have no choice but to vote for proposed legislation. Heck they might even try to add some constructive criticism or heaven forbid even make a good suggestion for a reasonable and compatible change. The official opposition would also have to take some ownership to consensus legislation as if the party in power expects some of their new drunk with power MLA's that are allowed a free vote may vote against the legislation then they would have to court some opposition members who believe the legislation is a good idea.
--The MLA still has to make tough decisions and balance between party ideals and those of their constituents and the greater good of the province, Canada and indeed the globe. Obviously if they loose the confidence of the party they could loose the party suppport.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #419 on: July 09, 2010, 08:32:37 AM »

--I still naively believe that a good meaning person from any party could be a good representative. The dictatorships which always seem to follow after a few years have to stop. ...... There has to be more "free votes" allowed thus allowing the MLA's to actually represent and pay more attention to their constituents. I don't want my MLA coming to me off the record saying they don't agree with the legislation and there are better alternatives but in public they have to support and in Parliament they vote the party line.
--With more concensus based legislation... that is free vote.. I would expect each MLA to become more accountable. They would not have the excuse that they have no choice but to vote for proposed legislation. Heck they might even try to add some constructive criticism or heaven forbid even make a good suggestion for a reasonable and compatible change. The official opposition would also have to take some ownership to consensus legislation as if the party in power expects some of their new drunk with power MLA's that are allowed a free vote may vote against the legislation then they would have to court some opposition members who believe the legislation is a good idea.
--The MLA still has to make tough decisions and balance between party ideals and those of their constituents and the greater good of the province, Canada and indeed the globe. Obviously if they loose the confidence of the party they could loose the party suppport.

I wholeheartedly agree with the free vote concept. That was my point when the STV was proposed in the last election. I believe STV would have provided a better opportunity for MLA's to represent their ridings wishes rather than voting what the leader said they have to vote.

Unfortunately Chris and most of BC voted along the major party lines, which was against STV.... ???