Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fight The HST!  (Read 148487 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Fight The HST!
« Reply #435 on: September 02, 2010, 09:53:56 AM »

The sewage continues to get deeper. And deeper.......

http://www.cknw.com/Other/FOI6_PGS_32_42.pdf

No matter which way you lean, you have to admire the Liberals on this one....  They knew that introducing the HST was political suicide, yet unlike any politicians I've ever seen before they went ahead and implemented the HST because they know that in the long term this tax makes more sense than the PST. This should be the reason we elect governments. We should expect them to make the right decisions, not the popular decisions that are designed just to get votes!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #436 on: September 02, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »

No matter which way you lean, you have to admire the Liberals on this one....  They knew that introducing the HST was political suicide, yet unlike any politicians I've ever seen before they went ahead and implemented the HST because they know that in the long term this tax makes more sense than the PST. This should be the reason we elect governments. We should expect them to make the right decisions, not the popular decisions that are designed just to get votes!
In case you did not read my letter to the editor here it is again, the true reason they brought in the HST.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/theprogress/opinion/letters/100535809.html

As a footnote, there is a silver lining (flossing)  ;D in them bringing in the HST. As former Maple Leaf player Tiger Williams said: "they are done like dinner". Will look good on these arrogant Liberals.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #437 on: September 02, 2010, 05:32:35 PM »

I've always admired liars and con men. First on my list of "People To Admire". ;D ::) ;D

Excellent points in that well written piece Chris. Ya know - if the Liberals just,um, - no that wouldn't work, But maybe... Nope. Not that either. How about....Naw. Dang, I see a move to offices just over the kitchen in the leg- just like they did to McPhail and Kwan ;D
http://

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #438 on: September 02, 2010, 09:26:43 PM »

First on my list of "People To Admire". ;D ::) ;D

Wow and I thought we couldn't agree on anything!   ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #439 on: September 02, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »

In case you did not read my letter to the editor here it is again, the true reason they brought in the HST.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/theprogress/opinion/letters/100535809.html

As a footnote, there is a silver lining (flossing)  ;D in them bringing in the HST. As former Maple Leaf player Tiger Williams said: "they are done like dinner". Will look good on these arrogant Liberals.

I read it before Chris and I inserted a quote from it below.....

"One reason I feel why Campbell and his finance minster Colin Hansen were forced to find another way to bring in more revenue is because their government cut taxes starting back when they were first elected. – a total of 37 percent since 2001, the Premier said in a previous article defending his government’s stance on bringing in the HST on July 1. When we see the financial mess we are in now, how wise a move was that to cut these taxes so much?"

The problem I have with what you are suggesting is this..... 

Income taxes penalize hard working, enterprising people that risk their savings in order to grow a business. Income taxes penalize those folks by taking money from them that they would otherwise invest, creating wealth and jobs for others. Income taxes generate revenue but they are a huge disincentive to working hard to earn money. Lower income taxes will attract more businesses to invest in BC, higher income taxes will make them look elsewhere!

On the other hand consumption taxes like HST are good because they generate government revenue from people that buy stuff. If you don't buy stuff you'll pay very little HST.  :D  Wealthy people generally buy a lot of stuff because they can afford it. As a result the government gets more tax revenue from them than from the lower income folk.

This is why I believe that while the government is not doing the "popular" things, they are doing the right things.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #441 on: September 03, 2010, 10:48:01 AM »

Funny how even in the financial turmoil we are in, the liberals still managed to give themselves raises ::)  . hard earned and well deserved for putting our province in the crapper  ::)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #442 on: September 03, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »

Funny how even in the financial turmoil we are in, the liberals still managed to give themselves raises ::)  . hard earned and well deserved for putting our province in the crapper  ::)

I think it's funny how people blame politicians for a bad economy that is a result of the bad world economy. On the other hand I also think it's funny when politicians pat themselves on the back when the economy is doing well..... 

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #443 on: September 03, 2010, 11:17:57 AM »

Funny how even in the financial turmoil we are in, the liberals still managed to give themselves raises ::)  . hard earned and well deserved for putting our province in the crapper  ::)
Although I agree giving oneself a raise during a period such as this is ill-advised, you can hardly fault the Liberals for our province being "in the crapper".  Seems to me there was a rather large economic issue called a Global Recession that just occurred - if the liberals caused that, they are more powerful than even Gordo believes!  lol

*edit - apparently I should've read alwaysfishn's comment above, he already posted pretty much the same thing as I did, lol*
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:19:47 AM by Tex »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #444 on: September 03, 2010, 11:18:46 AM »

This is why I believe that while the government is not doing the "popular" things, they are doing the right things.

Like...  ???

I simply do not consider intentionally and repeatedly LYING to the electorate "the right thing".
No matter how you may try to spin that fact, it is completely arrogant, to the point of asinine with this particular crew.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #445 on: September 03, 2010, 11:22:40 AM »

Like...  ???

I simply do not consider intentionally and repeatedly LYING to the electorate "the right thing".
No matter how you may try to spin that fact, it is completely arrogant, to the point of asinine with this particular crew.

You need to read my whole post IronNoggin.....  not just the part you disagree with.   ;D

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #446 on: September 03, 2010, 11:25:16 AM »

:D Why do you think there is a bad world economy? The economy is related to governments and their policies IE) deregulation, banking policies, HST, etc etc etc. the public doesn't come up with these policies GOVERNMENT does , so yes the economy is directly related to governments. Do you really think the U.S. would be in as bad of shape if it wasn't for President Bush's horrible economic policies? If mortgages and the stock market were regulated properly by the government's that put the policies in place then there most likely would not have been a crash.  And there is no proof that the HST will be better for our economy in the long term, they BELIEVE it will be but no one knows for sure if it will or won't, much like the GST no one knew its full effect until it was in place for a long period of time. The main problem is they lied to every person that voted for them about the HST and are introducing it in the WORST possible time.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #447 on: September 03, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »

:D Why do you think there is a bad world economy? The economy is related to governments and their policies IE) deregulation, banking policies, HST, etc etc etc. the public doesn't come up with these policies GOVERNMENT does , so yes the economy is directly related to governments. Do you really think the U.S. would be in as bad of shape if it wasn't for President Bush's horrible economic policies? If mortgages and the stock market were regulated properly by the government's that put the policies in place then there most likely would not have been a crash.  And there is no proof that the HST will be better for our economy in the long term, they BELIEVE it will be but no one knows for sure if it will or won't, much like the GST no one knew its full effect until it was in place for a long period of time. The main problem is they lied to every person that voted for them about the HST and are introducing it in the WORST possible time.

Suggesting the Liberals are responsible for a bad economy in BC is not true.

Economies rise and fall just like real estate prices and stock prices etc. This is good because both rising and falling economies provide investment opportunities where people can profit. Government's purpose is not to eliminate these cycles, just to try and limit the highs and the lows. As far as President Bush's policies....  it was actually Clinton's policies that created the financial collapse in the US. The thing that Bush could be blamed for is not changing the Clinton policies.

What you suggest is lying, others may suggest is just a change in policy to react to a changing economy... Businesses often change policies based on what their market requires, why can't we accept that responsible government does that as well?

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #448 on: September 03, 2010, 11:44:28 AM »

:D Why do you think there is a bad world economy? The economy is related to governments and their policies IE) deregulation, banking policies, HST, etc etc etc. the public doesn't come up with these policies GOVERNMENT does , so yes the economy is directly related to governments. Do you really think the U.S. would be in as bad of shape if it wasn't for President Bush's horrible economic policies? If mortgages and the stock market were regulated properly by the government's that put the policies in place then there most likely would not have been a crash.  

Interesting points, but you may not realize that the recent economic meltdown we experienced has been brewing since the 1980s.  Did the current liberals probably contribute?  Sure.  But so did a number of other governements.  And don't sell ourselves short, friend - a huge portion of this issue is due to greed by Joe and Sally Smith - your average consumer.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #449 on: September 03, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »

Tex:  Seems like you and I are on the same wavelength here.....   It's good to see some sanity brought to this topic!  ;D  ;D