Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fight The HST!  (Read 148414 times)

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: Fight The HST!
« Reply #450 on: September 03, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »

Seems like you and I are on the same wavelength here.....   

In addition - there will always be businesses that will interpret or bend the law as they see fit in order to turn a profit.  Some much worst than others.  Thus the last couple of financial fiascos the past few years.

Heck - even those accepting 'cash only' with no receipts are 'Bending it like Beckham'.  :D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #451 on: September 03, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »

Yes it was Clinton and Bush's policies that led to the collapse, however, it was only during Bush's office term that everyone realized what would happen.Even though he had been warned repeatedly,  Bush didn't act until it was already to late. It was the governments Community reinvestment Act and Government Sponsored Enterprises Act that messed everything up. and most economists believe this started in the 90's when these policies were changed not the 80's. Sure there is a small portion of blame to put on to joe blow, but there is far more blame to be put on to the predatory lenders, greedy brokers and stock investors that took advantage of people. As for a policy change, the economy does not change in 4 days enough to allow the government to change policies, like any government fast tracks like that  :D. It took governments around the world months to react but the liberals can act in 4 days  ??? :D :D :D They lied and they know it just like every commen sense person out there. As for a responsible government... no comment lol. Sure there will be businesses that will bend the law or interpret it as they will , does that make it OK?? no, a crook is a crook and a politician is .....lol

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #452 on: September 03, 2010, 01:23:34 PM »

and most economists believe this started in the 90's when these policies were changed not the 80's.
A number of the key policies were changed prior to the 90s, and the debt bubble began building in the 80s.  Some would argue the greatest bull market ever began in the early 1980s and has been driven entirely by debt - both personal and government debt.

From http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=the_conservative_origins_of_the_subprime_mortgage_crisis

"But by the early 1980s, the lending industry used its political clout to push back against government regulation. In 1980, Congress adopted the Depository Institutions Deregulatory and Monetary Control Act, which eliminated interest-rate caps and made sub-prime lending more feasible for lenders. The S&Ls balked at constraints on their ability to compete with conventional banks engaged in commercial lending. They got Congress -- Democrats and Republicans alike -- to change the rules, allowing S&Ls to begin a decade-long orgy of real estate speculation, mismanagement, and fraud."

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #453 on: September 03, 2010, 04:12:30 PM »

What I didn't like was the Liberal platform during the election:

Vote for us unless you want the BC economy to go down the tubes.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #454 on: September 12, 2010, 08:54:17 AM »

--the big question is what are they going to do with the money from HST, it will survive what ever party is elected provincially  just like GST did federally..
--there is nothing stopping provincial government from lowering their portion of the tax if they so choose.
--there are supposed to be some savings in the collection and processing of one tax vs two... that's government talk for laying off employees.

--I just got back from a road trip through north western USA... noticed the saw mills plugging away..even those that belong to companies that shut down in BC because they claim there was no market... that was part of the great strategy by government that we would be better off cutting so called red tape in the forest industry and allowing a few larger companies to run free in BC and they would be so thankfull that they would stay open and even expand as they are one of the largest benefactors of the HST tax shift.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #455 on: September 14, 2010, 10:15:04 PM »

But will Campbell keep his word on his announcements regarding the referendum or "weasel word" (B.C. Rail lease ;) his way out of it? Inquiring minds want to know.......
http://

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #456 on: September 14, 2010, 10:34:57 PM »

But will Campbell keep his word on his announcements regarding the referendum or "weasel word" (B.C. Rail lease ;) his way out of it? Inquiring minds want to know.......

I guess you are assuming that the referendum will actually result in the majority of BC voters deciding that they don't want the HST.  

I predict that the referendum will go down in defeat. The reason why is that the Liberals will go an a major education campaign in which they will not only explain the HST so that people understand it, but they will also spell out what will happen if the HST is rejected. For example the PST will need to be increased to make up the lost revenue and to pay back the Feds. BC residents will want a refund on the HST they have paid but the poor and the old will also need to pay back the HST rebates that they are already receiving.

Campbell has promised he will do anything the public wants regarding the HST, however he will make sure they understand the consequences. In the end I think HST will stay.....  :)  which is a good thing!

It's easier to understand why the Zalm is so unhappy.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #457 on: September 15, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »

Why would they have to pay back the HST rebates??? All that has happened is the GST rebate is now called the HST rebate, have not seen any changes in the amounts or any announcments regarding an increase/decrease in the HST/GST rebates so the poor and elderly would not be hit that way. Also chances are the NDP will also campaign how the liberals brought in the HST and how the liberals cost every person in the province to have a tax repealed that no one except big business wanted. Chances are the NDP and the anti-HST crew will follow the liberals in campaigning their causes so it will be a tit-for-tat situation.Campbell and promise  :D :D :D :D :D ::) ::) ya kinda like oh we wont bring in the HST , dont worry the olympics will only cost 600 million...HAHAHA Campbell and a promise right so trustworthy  ::) .

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #458 on: September 17, 2010, 05:34:57 AM »

I guess you are assuming that the referendum will actually result in the majority of BC voters deciding that they don't want the HST.  

I predict that the referendum will go down in defeat.

Really? Do you think Campbell is capable of that task?
Again, I'll say it slowly and simply - If you are that poor of a business person that you can't survive with ANY government lolly or tax shift or anything like that- start looking for a job with someone who has the capability to run a business. It's quite obvious to most that inability to make a profit without someone stuffing money in your coffers....... ::)

BTW- Do you not find it odd that the 2 top folks at Elections BC are now unemployed???? Seems a little odd that they were both fired after King Kampbell was denied his info mailer. Coincidence I guess.

BTW- This is curious...
The GST portion of Capital Inputs is already rebated by the Feds, so 5% of the 12% HST inputs have been getting rebated ever since the GST was introduced.
In 2001, the Province eliminated the provincial sales tax on production machinery and equipment

So where is the gain for business?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:35:15 AM by Novabonker »
http://

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #459 on: September 17, 2010, 07:43:30 AM »

It's not even in Campbell's hands any more, the referendum is something that the public will be voting on......   :o

Again, I'll say it slowly and simply - If you are that poor of a business person that you can't survive with ANY government lolly or tax shift or anything like that- start looking for a job with someone who has the capability to run a business. It's quite obvious to most that inability to make a profit without someone stuffing money in your coffers....... 

See, and I thought you always spoke slowly and simply......   ;D

BTW- Do you not find it odd that the 2 top folks at Elections BC are now unemployed? Seems a little odd that they were both fired after King Kampbell was denied his info mailer. Coincidence I guess.

Isn't it about time they got rid of some of the incompetent bureaucrats running this province?  :D

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #460 on: September 17, 2010, 08:02:46 AM »

It's not even in Campbell's hands any more, the referendum is something that the public will be voting on......   :o 

If they did ACTUALLY did that, who would run the province  ??? ;D
 The liberals are doing what they always do when someone disagrees with the dictator (king seems too classy for him lol) fire them and make an excuse for it. One of Langley's counsellors recently had to backtrack on what he said about Campbell after a quick phonecall from the dictators guard Coleman. Wonder what would have happened to him if he hadn't switched his opinion 2 hours after the phonecall  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:05:39 AM by salmonsturgeontrout »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #461 on: September 17, 2010, 08:32:04 AM »

The referendum is staged to fail.  50%+1 of ALL ELIGIBLE voters have to vote "YES"

We don't even GET 50% showing up sometimes, never mind actually voting :(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #462 on: September 17, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »

The referendum is staged to fail.  50%+1 of ALL ELIGIBLE voters have to vote "YES"

We don't even GET 50% showing up sometimes, never mind actually voting :(
I believe it is 50% plus 1 of those that turn out to vote. The problem will be how it is worded by Campbell, but wait why are we having to wait until 2011 before we can vote, oh I guess so they can collect HST from us poor people and the Liberal supporters in business can make more. ??? ::)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #463 on: September 17, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »

I believe it is 50% plus 1 of those that turn out to vote. The problem will be how it is worded by Campbell, but wait why are we having to wait until 2011 before we can vote, oh I guess so they can collect HST from us poor people and the Liberal supporters in business can make more. ??? ::)

It will have to be approved by 50 per-cent of all registered voters and by 50 per-cent of all registered voters in two-thirds of BC's 85 ridings. No wonder Mr Vanderzalm was so upset!   ;)

I believe it was the NDP that put the referendum legislation together years ago.....   Campbell's hands are tied.   :D

burnaby

« Reply #464 on: September 17, 2010, 09:37:53 PM »

Either way Campbell shoving the HST down our throats with another broken promise will be costly no matter what the result. Too bad voter memory is short ant that the NDP is leaderless (best thing that's happen to Campbell).

No wonder Vzalm is upset, he lost the crown of most hated politician to Campbell.