Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mouth of the Seymour  (Read 3510 times)

whitetip

Mouth of the Seymour
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:39:50 PM »

well I was there this morning looking for some to bite my new flies I made when I was told I was fishing in native land !! I have fish this part of the tidal part of the Mouth of the Seymour for about 6 years and I have never been told that it was native land, is this true ???  I look at the reg. it does not said any thing of that nature.

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Mouth of the Seymour
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:34:27 PM »

well I was there this morning looking for some to bite my new flies I made when I was told I was fishing in native land !! I have fish this part of the tidal part of the Mouth of the Seymour for about 6 years and I have never been told that it was native land, is this true ???  I look at the reg. it does not said any thing of that nature.

All of the lower mainland is "native land", but the natives have not always asserted this title. This is the trouble with living in unceded territory.  I would respond sincerely that you recognize the Tsleil-Waututh's claim to the territory and promise that you will respect the land and the fish you catch.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 08:43:56 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 08:44:39 PM »

I usually tell them that another tribe has got dibs on the spot.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:56:58 PM »

That's news to me. I've fished there in the past and have encountered no problems.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »

its not native land and you are welcome to fish anytime, try in about 3 weeks and some pinks should be around.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 12:41:47 AM »

its not native land and you are welcome to fish anytime, try in about 3 weeks and some pinks should be around.

While it is not part of the current reserve lands, make no mistake the Seymour River mouth is native land.  The mouth of the Seymour was the site of a Coast Salish village (the village after which the Tsleil-Waututh Nation's name is taken). They are currently at Stage 4 of the 6 stage treaty process and their claims covers much of the shores of the Burrard Inlet in North and West Vancouver, Burnaby, Port Moody, and Coquitlam.  As it is there have been no previous attempts to restrict access to the river as there is on the Capilano., so it was likely an over zealous band member hoping to scare you off.
Not all those who wander are lost

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 05:14:30 PM »

untill the claim is settled its open to every one.they will most likely get a cash payment for this land.

Dogbreath

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »

I've had similar encounters in other places if I'm in a good mood I say something along the lines of "Why don't you call a cop" and if I'm not in a good mood "GFY"

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »

I was born in Copper Cliff Ontario. I'M A NATIVE!  FISH THE MOUTH OF THE SEYMOUR ALL YOU WANT!!!
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

bcguy

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 10:28:56 PM »

I was born in Copper Cliff Ontario. I'M A NATIVE!  FISH THE MOUTH OF THE SEYMOUR ALL YOU WANT!!!

:D
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB