Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Storing leaders  (Read 8968 times)

DRP79

Storing leaders
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:51:38 AM »

How do you guys store pre tied leaders? I learned the value of having them pre tied as a couple of my first outtings, I spent as much time tying them as I did fishing. I have just been tying them and holding them with a twist tie in my tackle box.

I am getting kind of sick of toting around the tackle box and a bag of roe and am looking to streamline my approach so I can be more mobile.

Danny21

Re: Storing leaders
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 11:09:57 AM »

Invest in a Pip box,  it is a small case where you easily store 15 leaders and access them without tangles. You can find them at most local fishing stores for around 15 bucks.

mzmann

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:22:20 PM »

hook end in the top of the cheap foam floats and line wrapped on it however works best for you....thats what i've used for awhile now and love the easy and simplicity of it!
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:31:32 PM »

Pips leader box definately is the way to go.

Pre tying a bunch of leaders of different size hooks and test all at once while having a beer at home with good lighting sure beats wastin time on the flow attempting to tie with frozen fingers.

DRP79

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »

Thanks guys, I will have to pick up one of these pips containers. I will also get one of those little containers that go on the waders for bait and I should really be lightening the load.

milo

• Old Timer

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »

X4, a fellow gave them to me when i bought someother stuff from him, at first i didn't see there value but soon after using them i cant imagine not having them.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 05:46:04 PM »

X5 I found my first pips box on the river one time. For a couple months I didn't even know what it was for, lol then I realized that the lid turned around indefinitely and wondered why...then I figured it out! Its really a great thing. Before that I was using styrofoam or squares of cardboard.

I'd also highly reccomend a vest, tackle boxes are a pain

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 05:58:52 PM »

I have used the Pip Box before, and the Tackle Buddy is 10x better, been using the same 1 for at least 5 years and still goin strong.  Same size as a Mars Bar..

http://www.basspro.com/Tackle-Buddy-Snell-Holder/product/16624/111543

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »

small zip lock bags 1inch by 2inches
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

brysonk

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »

I just use the blue foam leader boards, have been working ok for me. I have a couple of them tied up with different rigs eg: worms, spinners, bait hooks etc... But you definitely need to have leaders prepared before you go.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 09:15:39 PM »

Started out using empty hook packages. Have tried a pips box a couple of times...didn't care for it. Right now using a leader board  that I got last Christmas. When that gives out I'll go back to wrapping them around a white dink float.Mark the end(s) with a black Sharpie as to hook size/line test.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

DRP79

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »

With using a dunk float, how do you keep the end opposite the hook from just hanging loose and unravelling with it wrapped around?

mzmann

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 09:58:13 PM »

With using a dunk float, how do you keep the end opposite the hook from just hanging loose and unravelling with it wrapped around?

A rubber band works well. Wrap it right and you just pull the hook out and leader comes without tangling as well while the rubber band holds the other leaders in place still.
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

scotiansense

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »

Or you can start with the tag end, do your wraps, and secure on float with hook. No loose ends.