Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lower mainland  (Read 7431 times)

jacklam999

lower mainland
« on: November 14, 2013, 11:45:29 PM »

didnt see much action/report on the lower mainland(richmond bc). Last friday, fished for 4 hours, only 1 wild coho caught while the out going tide. Anyone want to share their recent fishing condition would be great. Is it actually fishing in lower mainland has been slowing down, or just me?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: lower mainland
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 12:08:15 AM »

Definitely slowing down

mistermongz

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:33:11 AM »

Salmon is slowing down but bulltrout has been on fire.
Fish on!!!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:15:43 AM »

I hooked into a tomato coho at the Cap on Monday but lost him within 10 feet of shore.  I think his teeth bit through my 10 lb line.  What do you guys do to prevent this?

zap brannigan

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 09:22:16 AM »

Nothing, just the way she goes sometimes.

Check your leader often by running it between your index and thumb for nicks and abrasion.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:24:49 AM by zap brannigan »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 09:31:25 AM »

Nothing, just the way she goes sometimes.

Check your leader often by running it between your index and thumb for nicks and abrasion.
I was fishing with spoon which was directly attached to my mainline.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't the abrasion, but the actual act of the coho jumping in the air and shaking its head with the line in its teeth that broke it.  I'm pretty sure if the line was outside of its teeth, then it wouldn't have been a problem.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »

I was fishing with spoon which was directly attached to my mainline.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't the abrasion, but the actual act of the coho jumping in the air and shaking its head with the line in its teeth that broke it.  I'm pretty sure if the line was outside of its teeth, then it wouldn't have been a problem.
That's how she goes sometimes! Sure makes for one heck of a fight when they're jumping and thrashing, still sounds like a good time even tho you didn't get it all the way to the shore.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 09:50:54 AM »

That's how she goes sometimes! Sure makes for one heck of a fight when they're jumping and thrashing, still sounds like a good time even tho you didn't get it all the way to the shore.
Yes it definitely was fun! More fun than fighting a chum that just tries to win a tug-of-war with you.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 05:25:29 AM »

Yes it definitely was fun! More fun than fighting a chum that just tries to win a tug-of-war with you.

Most of the chum I catch jump as much as the coho, some have stripped me of 100 yards of backing while jumping repeatedly 4 or 5 times.  This is why I love targeting chum on the fly, you get the strength of a spring (okay maybe not quite) and the acrobatics of a coho. What they do not do, is the coho roll, which still baffles me why coho, and only coho, seem to feel the need to completely wrapped themselves in my line, so they end up floating belly up.  It can be a good strategy I suppose as I have had a couple that will quickly mummify themselves within a few minutes of the fight, then as I grab the line and unroll them, they make a dash for it, if I am too slow letting go or if the drag is not loose or my line has looped over something, there is a good chance of it snapping off.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 05:28:57 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

losos

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »

I hooked into a tomato coho at the Cap on Monday but lost him within 10 feet of shore.  I think his teeth bit through my 10 lb line.  What do you guys do to prevent this?
Try using a foot of thicker line between main line and your spoon.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 08:12:45 PM »

Try using a foot of thicker line between main line and your spoon.
That sounds like it might work.  Do you think it matters of this thicker line is made of either mono or fluorocarbon?

bunnta

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 09:28:03 PM »

Most of the chum I catch jump as much as the coho, some have stripped me of 100 yards of backing while jumping repeatedly 4 or 5 times.  This is why I love targeting chum on the fly, you get the strength of a spring (okay maybe not quite) and the acrobatics of a coho. What they do not do, is the coho roll, which still baffles me why coho, and only coho, seem to feel the need to completely wrapped themselves in my line, so they end up floating belly up.  It can be a good strategy I suppose as I have had a couple that will quickly mummify themselves within a few minutes of the fight, then as I grab the line and unroll them, they make a dash for it, if I am too slow letting go or if the drag is not loose or my line has looped over something, there is a good chance of it snapping off.

fresh doe chum will roll, i've wrapped my line around their heads several times this year. I feel that chum this year have been putting on quite the fight, its like a bigger coho. The only thing that i dislike about chum, losing your jigs......they cut your line like nothing.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »

fresh doe chum will roll, i've wrapped my line around their heads several times this year. I feel that chum this year have been putting on quite the fight, its like a bigger coho. The only thing that i dislike about chum, losing your jigs......they cut your line like nothing.

I discovered this today, silver does were crazy, jumping 3-5 times, mad dashes and when close to shore rolling like crazy, increasing the chance of their teeth cutting the leader.  All the males stayed in the water and pulled like locomotives.  Lost 3 new bent rod jigs today, however the $20 was well worth it.  Amazing fish.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 10:00:26 PM »

I just file their teeth down with a diamond grit stone after I land them so they don't do it to the next guy.  :)

jacklam999

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »

where u guyz planning to fish tomorrow 8)?