Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many steelhead have you landed in 2014 ( Hatch & Wild)

- 69 (46.9%)
1-3
- 34 (23.1%)
3-8
- 18 (12.2%)
10 and above.
- 10 (6.8%)
Well into the double digits.
- 16 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: How many steelhead have you landed this year in the lower mainland.  (Read 20271 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: How many steelhead have you landed this year in the lower mainland.
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2014, 10:54:39 AM »

I know for myself, on the Vedder or any other river that has species other than steelhead, I do not call it a steelhead until it either breaches the water completely and is visible, or is near enough to the bank that I can 100% identify it as a steelhead.

Yup, that's how I count my hook ups too.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »

0 for 1 this year. landed a few bulls that day though. just haven't been feeling it this winter.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »

Wish that the other 2k viewers would of threw their vote in on this lol. Its ok most of us havent got anything either guys  :P
Good point Floater.  In a previous post I suggested information like this, even though anecdotal at best, is really all we have to assess steelhead populations in lower mainland rivers.   Personally, I now rarely fish the C –V  but am near the water almost every day and have a network of anglers, some who are as good as they get for this fishery, that keep me informed as to what is going on.
As a few have posted, those who put in the time and fish areas not so frequently visited are indeed catching fish, mostly wild … but my feeling in talking to many  is that this steelhead season is very poor.
Looking forward to the spawning area enumerations Buck, KP and I do in April and May, when we will get another picture of this season.

riptide

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »

3 times out , 1 hatch doe landed , 12.5 lbs ish . Jan. 4 ...Lucky to get her . 2 wilds were landed same day . 6 hr. day , lower
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

riptide

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »

edit or note to above ...2 wilds landed by others on the run... I would've called b.s. on that post , just thought I would beat someone to it. Sure looks a lot different when you are reading your own words .

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2014, 09:38:32 PM »

edit or note to above ...2 wilds landed by others on the run... I would've called b.s. on that post , just thought I would beat someone to it. Sure looks a lot different when you are reading your own words .

landing three in a day? I would not have called bs. Three landed is a good day and if you are an experienced steel header not totally uncommon.

riptide

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2014, 04:55:43 PM »

What??? They told me at the fishing store if I traded in my rubber boots for Simms guide wader boots and bought the plastic raspberry thingys and a handful of red and white floats that I would be an experienced guide . Man , I thought I heard them laughing when I was walking out the door . Seriously though , I was just adding a comment to my vote , deciding it would be a good thing to participate rather that lurk . Yes , I agree 3 steelies in a day on the C-V  wouldn't be uncommon but this year with the slim pickens it would be a good day , granted I hooked and landed my 2 wilds first then dispatched my hatch . That particular day  I decided not to practice c and r , my fishing day was done at 9:15 . Had to watch my fishing partner for the next 4 hrs. stand with 28 other fenchposters . Yah that ain't steelheading we all say , but that's were they were holding that day . Myself , I was ready to leave and go on the hunt to enjoy the solitude of true steelheading  when my float disappeared ,amazing the success a subtle change in your presentation can bring . I guess the point is : 3 fish total with only 1 hatch ,30 ish decent rods at the gauntlet , 6 hrs. ....  "felt lucky to get her"

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2014, 08:08:09 PM »

As well known, fishing this year is really slow. What I also noted was that more than usual number of small hatchery fish were being landed. One hatch I landed was only 24" long and saw another guy land a hatchery that was barely legal limit of 50 cm. a frequent Vedder fisherman also said that more than usual number of hatchery steelhead in the 4~5 pound range were being landed this season. This points to a possible situation where hatchery steelhead growth is being negatively impacted for this year's returning class. Just my two cents.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2014, 07:36:16 AM »

i heard that they ran out of funding and released the smolts early. Also heard that they turned down a donation becuase if they have to take our money then whats the point.
Tight lines to all

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »

i heard that they ran out of funding and released the smolts early. Also heard that they turned down a donation becuase if they have to take our money then whats the point.
Turned down a donation. . . thats just silly if the government dose not care WE STILL DO!!!
[

fisharoo

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2014, 03:53:52 PM »

@Floater I'm all for independent non-profit hatcheries. Would glad share a few hundred bones every year --- and get a tax credit for it!

Ambassador

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2014, 04:16:04 PM »

2 trips out, 2 hookups, none tailed. One felt nice and big with a good fight, but not sure if it was a Steelhead or not. Both hooked on a pink intruder fly.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

sandy999

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2014, 08:24:11 AM »

Turned down a donation. . . thats just silly if the government dose not care WE STILL DO!!!

I wonder why that when I read a story or a statement most of the time it turns out to be just that-something to read. Remember the show believe it or not.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »

Has been a really bad year, but have already filled out the steelhead card.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 07:11:05 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2014, 08:20:14 PM »

I wonder why that when I read a story or a statement most of the time it turns out to be just that-something to read. Remember the show believe it or not.
Not sure just what you are saying …but the past few years the steelhead juveniles released from the Chilliwack River Hatchery have been smaller than the mandated 80 gram release size and generally, smaller sized released juveniles have poorer survival rates.  We are now seeing the results of that management decision for hatchery returns.   And, as always, wild populations are unknown.
Are you referring to an offer by the Fraser Valley Salmon Society to donate 2k for feeding Chilliwack River Hatchery chum fry?  If so, that seemed a no brainer..  the money  was offered to feed these chum for about a month …  which previous data had shown would virtually double adult returns… and was turned down.  I'm told the reason for this was fishery managers were concerned if outside agencies were involved in husbandry costs, they would also have to placate these same angling advocates for harvesting opportunities later on.
And so we go ..