Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Sockeye fishing in the Richmond area?  (Read 12525 times)

Wool

Any Sockeye fishing in the Richmond area?
« on: June 29, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »

Does anyone sockeye fish in the Richmond to New west area of the Fraser? B Betty's.

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: Any Sockeye fishing in the Richmond area?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 06:39:09 PM »

Well sockeye is not open for retention right now so no.
Also if you want to floss some fish the lower Fraser is not ideal due to current flow

Wool

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:12:32 PM »

Understood about the season, just wondered if it can be done down here?

Humpy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:20:53 PM »

Chilliwack is a better area to BB.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »

Well you could use the Ladner two hook set up  :o

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:35:57 PM »

You should be able to reach some of the fish in the Richmond area along the south arm. Enticing them to bite is not easy.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 01:53:22 PM »

if the run is good expect opening between july 31 and aug 15 then stay open till labor day or later.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:59:04 PM »

Enticing sockeye salmon to bite is not easy in the tidal portion of the Fraser River, but it's not impossible. They will strike spoons, spinners and anything else you'd throw at a pink or coho salmon, just not as often as them. I've also seen sockeye salmon chasing down a baited hook with shrimp. I've also caught sockeye salmon by bait while it is anchored on the bottom.

If you want to floss sockeye salmon, go upstream.

Wool

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »

Swinging a 4oz sinker with a 12 ft leader sounds a little strange, sorry. I'd like to say I tried before joining the cult. Lol. I heard a couple stories at Fred's about the danger with BB. If you hit me with that sinker, and I lived... I would drawn you. They must bite?

Tangles

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 12:04:36 AM »

A friend of mine with a lot more experience than me claims that many days he's had his limit of socks in Richmond fishing the same way as for pinks. He's also saying Richmond should give you best chance as the sockeye get progressively lockjawed as they enter the fresh water. I've never caught sockeye myself  and since I don't plan on joining the BB crowd, considering the size of the run I think I'll give this fishery a try.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 12:21:16 AM »

Quite the opposite. Sockeye salmon, like chum salmon, are mostly lock jawed as they migrate through the tidal portion of the Fraser River. As they get into the tributaries, they are way more aggressive and can easily be caught. In the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River between Hope and Chilliwack, they are flossed not because these fish will not bite, but because the water clarity is simply too poor to produce any consistent results.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 02:45:41 AM »

A friend of mine with a lot more experience than me claims that many days he's had his limit of socks in Richmond fishing the same way as for pinks. He's also saying Richmond should give you best chance as the sockeye get progressively lockjawed as they enter the fresh water. I've never caught sockeye myself  and since I don't plan on joining the BB crowd, considering the size of the run I think I'll give this fishery a try.

People do catch socks in Richmond constantly.  Unfortunately they don't really catch them, they snag them.  There are only 2 places of I know this is possible.  DFO seems to turn a blind eye as it goes on every year.

I always thought one of those flashers with a hoochie cast out far might work.

I have caught 2 on jigs but that was a lot of time spent on the river (hours and hours, probably days) and I was not fishing for sockeye.

Wool

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 08:25:26 AM »

Same tactics as pinks?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »

Sockeye are caught out in the chuck pretty regularly as they stage off the banana and in the harbour using flashers and hot pink hootchies. In the Harrison when there was a regular opening small krill dyed hot pink was the go to bait. Seems to me that if they can be taken it will be based on finding the right place in the water column with either bait or scented artificials. Just my guess. I've heard most are snagged currently. Most guys go up the valley where it is easier to get a hook where the fish are - they have to stay close to the bottom and seems nobodies put their mind to catching them in the river below Mission. I have heard some guys have cracked how to catch large numbers of chum down towards Richmond using small plugs on standard bar gear and fish on a strong running ebb tide to make the plug work. Of course with the poor chum runs last several years this might not be as worth the effort as it once was.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wool

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »

I'm going to put serious effort into this.