Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ever think you could drown on the Vedder?  (Read 11684 times)

TheFishingLad

Re: Ever think you could drown on the Vedder?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 04:51:55 PM »

Shuswap story, but same type of water. One of my spots on the Shuswap is right around the corner of class 4(?) rapids, while right behind me is a sign "No life jacket No brains No pulse" and every year albertans would plop their inner tubes and beer 200m up from me and go a floating down. I make sure they notice the sign and let them know, but the ones that don't listen I put my gear aside, walk down to the worst rapids and wait. More often than not I had to try and pull people out with rope or a stick, and had to run a ways to the nearest farm house to call 9/11. It seems several people die on this river on average a year, mostly albertans from my experience, some locals.

Situational awareness goes along ways

Archer

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 10:26:36 PM »

Those drunk folks going down the Vedder river today past Peach Rd. on tubes didn't think they would drown... ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 12:04:55 AM »

Alcohol makes them feel invincible.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 07:02:13 AM »

Wonder how long before transport canada requires all tubers to have life jackets, a whistle, and a throw line.

T-Man

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 02:00:44 PM »

Hey.
I pretty much never post here, but this topic just caught my eye.  In my line of work I have to take Swiftwater Rescue courses every 3-5 years.
I've taken the course with "Raven Rescue" and "Rescue 3 Canada".  Two different companies, same course essentially.

Either way, they are some of the best courses I've ever taken.
If you take one, you will learn something, about moving water and about yourself and your capabilities.
Doesn't matter if you've waded for years etc.. Take the course and your eyes will be opened.

I recommend them (the courses)completely.
I wear a PFD in a boat always (gets hot sometimes), and when I wade at work I wear one too believe it or not. I wear a paddling jacket because it is comfortable and lets me work and move.  Its also rated for swiftwater (rivers).

You guys probably see those guys training people on the Vedder all the time. Bunch of folks in thin drysuits and helmets jumping in and swimming.

Seriously, the course was worth its weight in gold. Fun too. (doing it again this September on the Vedder)

Happy/safe wading and fishing!,
-Trevor

T-Man

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »

Oh yeah. I don't work for them. But I am compelled to take the courses, which is fine with me because I believe in the course and I learn something new every time.
Helped me get my first DFO job, and other jobs since.

Trevor

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 02:44:08 PM »

I was in on those first swiftwater rescue courses .., T-Man is right, you learn a ton and the good news is they are far better now than the first few ;D  ie. no near drowning's as the instructors today are certified and qualified to teach the course. 

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »

I know someone who drowned floating down the Chilliwack in the summer years ago, and that person who drowned shore fishing the Fraser a couple years ago was a good friend of my ex-gf. People don't think about it. I do a large variety of fishing so I bought the NRS Chinook. It doubles as my fishing vest and is really comfortable. I don't think it is approved in Canada, but it is everything I want and I know it has saved lives in the USA. Can't see how Canadian waters are any different. I hope people take this seriously and prepare.

Tylsie, it sounds like you the NRS Chinook? How do you find it in the heat? I'm thinking of ordering 2 online, one for me and one for the wife. I don't really get what "16.5 lbs of design floatation" means. Aren't they usually rated by body weight? Thsi looks like a good jacket to wear wading on the Fraser and in our boat; however, I want to make sure it'll float our body weights! I'd take a L/XL and she'd take a S/M.

I currently have a Mustang inflatable, but not auto inflate. I like it but if I were to smack my head or if for some reason the pull-inflate failed it would be bad news for me if I were going under. The wife wears an old school poofy lifejacket on the boat and has nothing for the river. Time to upgrade!

Here's a link to the jacket:

http://www.nrs.com/product/21501/nrs-chinook-mesh-back-fishing-pfd

T-Man

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »

Don't quote me but the16lbs buoyancy is how much it will float or displace. (considering you are somewhat buoyant.
Should be easy to look up....
The guys who do rescue work wear whitewater rescue jackets that are something in the order of 25lbs. Float like a cork in aerated (white water). Hot jacket to walk around in.

Try a google search if you are curious.

good luck.

Trevor
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:24:19 PM by T-Man »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »

I did some poking around on google. Sounds like PFDs like the Chinook, Mustang inflatables, etc are for "...generally considered the most comfortable, with styles for different boating activities and sports. They are for use in calm water where there is good chance of fast rescue since they will generally not turn an unconscious person face-up..."

http://www.pfdma.org/choosing/types.aspx

The Chinook is a "type 3" so IMO it isn't really meant for being swept away on the Fraser, etc. However wearing a big, bulky HOT type 2 or type 1 you be more likely to die of heatstroke/dehydration! And more than likely not wear it at all.

I think the type 3s are a good compromise as they are comfortable/breathable and wil greatly up your odds if your go for an unexpected dip.

I'm likely going to order up a couple chinooks from REI. If we dont like them they have a 100% satisfaction garuntee on all their products.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 07:46:03 PM »

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 03:32:25 PM »

I use my Mustang Survival vest whenever i'm going fishing to an area that's got ripping water just in case. The pockets on the vest aren't half bad either

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »

Looks pretty nice! Simialr to the pull-cord Mustang vest I have, except this one has extra pockets, etc.

I like the looks of that Chinook vest as it is NOT pull activated, so if you were to fall and get knocked out etc you will still float. Also I sometimes wonder...in a panic situation will I remember where the pull cord is...and to pull it? And what if, for some bizzare reason, I pull the cord and it does not inflate? :o

We are going to go to REI on days off and check out the Chinook vests. I'd still wear my Mustang in some situations like fly fishing anchored up in still waters (if I fell in, not a huge deal).

I realise you can get auto-inflate vests, however I like the design of the Chinook and the peace of mind knowing nothing could malfunction with a C02, esp on the Fraser where if you fall in it's a big deal. To each there own. I guess the main thing is when fishing such "dangerous" waters wear some sort of PFD!!

Tylsie

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 04:02:15 PM »

Sorry, went away for a little while. I really like my Chinook. It is comfortable, holds everything I need, including a place to secure my knife and not overly hot. You do notice you are wearing it but it is bearable. The main reason I got it is because is for my SOT kayak, but having played with it enough while getting in and out of my kayak I trust it to keep my body afloat in most conditions. I know that in an extreme whitewater situation it not be a great help, but i try to avoid those. It is a Type III so if you are knocked unconscious it won't guarantee to keep head above water, but that is not my greatest concern.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »

This topic reminded me when I was with www.matthewahawkins.com out on the vedder. We were fishing for Salmon at the time, and this dude must have been around 50 years old came out of no where. Talked to us for a minute and asked if he could jump in, we were shocked and said no problem. The guy slid in to the river and swam about in the run, kept popping up and pointing out where the fish were. Then he floated down the run and out the tail out. It was completely bizarre, and there was no floatation device on at all.

This was September and the water was pretty decent.