Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drift Nets Now Allowed In Chilliwack Area  (Read 20574 times)

otto

Re:Drift Nets Now Allowed In Chilliwack Area
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2004, 08:06:37 PM »

and as for what Fulcrum said ("They fish for ceremonial and cultural reasons").........

ii'm sorry but "ceremonial and cultural reasons" should be addressed by fishing the traditional way, with handmade cedar dip nets and spears, NOT A FREEKING FLOTILLA OF MODERN DAY BOATS WITH GODDAMN DRIFT NETS RAKING THE ENTIRE RIVER/OCEAN CLEAN. Then they spout off, "well its our cultural right to fish for food".............are they eating the salmon? maybe a few. the rest are being sold off trucks and whereever else. sorry i did'nt know your family could consume 5000 tonnes of salmon a year , in a "ceremonial way". Not trying to be a racist here, but i have never ever ever seen salmon caught by natives "the traditional way". maybe in a textbook when i was in grade 4..............

guess theres nothing like  ************************************************************************************
************************************************************************************
*************************************************************************************
SELF CENSORED BY OTTO   >:(

Fishbreath

• Fish grasshopper, fish.
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2004, 08:07:09 PM »

boycott any commercial outfit that buys FN fish!
Give a man a fish and he'll have dinner today, teach a man to fish and there'll be 5000 people at your fishing hole tomorrow!

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2004, 08:25:48 PM »

Otto has it right.  

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2004, 08:25:49 PM »

Gawdang?
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Didn't think yoo wer frum thu south. Hyuck hyuck ;D ;D ;D ;D

otto

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2004, 08:28:56 PM »

yea well, trying to be somewhat polite because this is a family forum. that being said my last two posts may have stepped over the boundaries of family discussion. i'm still really ticked though. i bust my arse to pay my rent and **************************************************
never mind.......i'm going for a walk...... >:(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2004, 11:03:53 PM »

Just got back from the SDA meeting re the upcoming protest. Some points.

The "Barbeque" planning is underway. Those that have indicated a interest in attending will receive a PM as the time gets closer to the date with full details. Please continue to talk this up with your friends and try to get them to attend when "the Table is set and dinner is to be served". ;D

Those interested in signing the petition re this illegal fishing etc. it is in Fred's Custom Tackle so if up that way drop in and read and sign it if you wish.

Bill has asked me to ask you to send me a copy of the letters you have or will be sending out to Regan and others so he can have them for his files. Send them to letter@fishingwithrod.com

When out on the river film or photograph any illegal activty and phone it in to FOC report line, document it and let me know so we can get it from you.

Thanks for your support as we work to preserve our salmon for future generations.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 11:59:03 PM by chris gadsden »

BirdNester

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2004, 11:13:11 PM »

Document what illegal activity? Is there anything they can't do now?
RobertO

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2004, 11:21:51 PM »

Document what illegal activity? Is there anything they can't do now?
RobertO
Yes any drift netting outside the designated area from Jones Hill to Jesperson and outside the times they were given.

Any set nets outside the openings times. Check the FOC web page for these times.

BirdNester

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2004, 11:25:15 PM »

Ok, I will log it... but then won't that make the powers that be give the FN 24/7 netting privelages? (do I have to point out that this was sarcastic, or could ya feel it?)
RobertO

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2004, 11:36:52 PM »

Ok, I will log it... but then won't that make the powers that be give the FN 24/7 netting privelages? (do I have to point out that this was sarcastic, or could ya feel it?)
RobertO
I donot know any other way to deal with it. When we stage the 'barbeque" the info we have gathered and presented to the media, the general public and others hopefully they will begin to question the government.

Remember they are a minority Liberal Government in power now and they can easily be defeated so public pressure could effect the position they are presently taking.

As I said if there is a better way to handle this please let us know.

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2004, 12:01:35 AM »

Chris, what will be happening at the "Barbeque" meeting as I might have missed and earlier post describing the details?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2004, 12:07:31 AM »

Chris, what will be happening at the "Barbeque" meeting as I might have missed and earlier post describing the details?
As I mentioned above when we get closer to the time I will send PM's to those that have indicated they want to get involved as final details will be worked on for a while.

Also it is nice to try to keep the "Barbeque" a surprise for as long as possible if you know what I mean. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2004, 12:30:22 AM »

Also forgot to mention I was told at the meeting tonight FN netting is supposed to end around the 15th. I will believe that when I see it but I guess the sockeye for the rec fishers will be closing around then too.???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2004, 12:38:17 AM »

Now there's a surprise  :D

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2004, 07:28:23 AM »

The question of "legallity" is an interesting one. If a "deal" is reached  between First Nations and DFO, then what they do becomes legal, in my opinion. Can this be clarified for me? For example, if the deal says First Nations can use both set and drift nets then even though I don't like it, it  becomes "legal." ????
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 07:59:21 AM by Terry Bodman »
"One man of courage makes a majority"