Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Next Federal election  (Read 7130 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Next Federal election
« on: September 09, 2023, 06:44:00 PM »

The Conservative Party held it's national Policy convention lately and it concluded today. The party overwhelming voted for a number of social policy objectives regarding medical policy, gender rights issues consistent with socially conservative ideology such as some may be familiar with those in many Southern and Rocky Mountain states in the US.

One policy decision that may be of interest to those of us who love sport fishing, salmon and trout:

" was a commitment that a Conservative government would establish a priority inventory if natural surface and ground water systems that would be protected and, where necessary, restored to states that ensure clean water supplies to all Canadians, also maintaining healthy populations of fish and wildlife."

was rejected by the Party membership.

Source from today's Globe and Mail: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-conservative-party-delegates-pass-contentious-social-policies/
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

SuperBobby

Re: Next Federal election
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 06:54:29 PM »

I do find that unfortunate, but at this point, JT could put thousands of 10lb Pennasks in every lake I fish, 10s of thousands of Coho, Steelhead, and Red Springs in every river I fish....I still won't vote for him. He is a treasonous narcistic lunatic that has systematically destroyed our country. I'm not sure Canada is repairable at this point.

dobrolub

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 08:48:09 PM »

x
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 04:44:05 PM by dobrolub »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 07:42:05 AM »

Housing costs, particularly of single family dwellings (SFDs), otherwise called 'houses' looks like a big issue for the next election. I think what has happened in Ontario is illustrative of what a Conservative Government may do, namely development more focused on 'opportunity' for well heeled developers who likely put a fair bit of coin into the pockets of the governing party. It all has the appearance of corruption. A focus in SFDs alone is unlikely to make much difference. Over a third of Canadians are renters and there is a massive shortage of that kind of living space. Condos and similar strata housing is also now very large, particularly in cities. A good portion of which is diverted to investors running short term accommodations like Air BnB. Canada is the only G20 country without a social housing policy. It's going to take a much broader focus on all 3 sectors to make even a modest change.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 01:16:49 PM »

it does not look good for justin. very few prime minsters make it past a second term if you look at the historical average. then inflation and housing will put the last few nail in the coffin. the only shot he's got is on climate change which i think will be on tops of peoples minds as well but behind inflation and housing. this wild fire season was like nothing we have seen before and is affecting more people every year from coast to coast. alberta had wildfires in may this year. our water sheds are the lowest we've seen in decades. something is definalty changing.

pierre has done an extremely good job marketing him self. hes taping into that populism on the right thats been there for the taking for a while. my only fear is he's saying all the right words with no actual substance. where i grew in richmond, real estate was expensive before justin even took office. i was priced out of the market i grew up in by 2008. did i blame stephen harper for that? of course not. that would be ridiculous. my mother was priced out of the vancouver real estate market in the early 80's. now the rest of canada is catching up to what people in the lower mainland and the greater gta have been dealing with for 25 years.

inflation and interest rates have really hit the working poor hard. rent here in cloverdale and langley has sky rocketed. $2200 for 2 bedroom. let alone the $1100 damage deposit. just to get your foot in the door its $3300. i remember a time where you could rent to save money. i would struggle affording that on my red seal tradesman wage. my first mortgage payments in 2009 were less than that. the harder you make it on these people, the more open they are for change regardless of the political party

i share the same fears as ralph about federal lands as well. we all witnessed the back room deal for the greenbelt in ontario that doug fords government is involved in. ford said he wouldnt touch the greenbelt, where pierre has openly talked about the selling of federal land. im not against the selling of federal lands in a way that make sense like housing coops and more rental stock. what i have a problem with is him selling it to developers who turn around and make more 650sqft garbage that now dominates the land scape in the lower mainland and fraser valley.

if the conseratives had some plan on actually climate policy i would consider voting for the torries for the first time. i watched jasraj singh hallan (conserative mp) interview after the conservative convention, and it was crickets on any real policy aside from selling natural gas to asian and european markets which i agree with and already happening with the hub in kitimat. i worry that sometimes consertives have to cater to the far right on issues that turns people in the middle to the left. i would really like to hear pierres view on abortion is as well. abortion is the one issue that is hurting repulicans even in deeply red states. i would imagine it would be very unpopular here as well.

should be an interesting election cycle on both sides of the border.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 01:20:48 PM by bigblockfox »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 01:50:24 PM »

As one commentator said his weekend, many PMs in the last 50 years would have felt like they were in political nirvana if they had to face voters  with 3.3% inflation and 5.5% unemployment. It' practically unheard of since 1970. I think since the pandemic ended the government has lost all sense of direction. They've failed to deliver on major promises like proportional representation and adding dental care and pharmaceuticals to the Nation Health plan. Their  slippery directionless response to Chinese intelligence operations in Canada made them look incompetent even though the public expectations on that issue is naive. Trudeau should have gone or announced he was going since he failed to win a majority government in his 3rd election. The party needs a fresh perspective and that requires a new leader. Unfortunately there seems to be no group of senior people who have the clout to make him see it's time to go.

A far as housing goes, Poilievre and his wife own homes they rent out for income. Nothing wrong with that eh?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 02:09:26 PM »

As one commentator said his weekend, many PMs in the last 50 years would have felt like they were in political nirvana if they had to face voters  with 3.3% inflation and 5.5% unemployment. It' practically unheard of since 1970. I think since the pandemic ended the government has lost all sense of direction. They've failed to deliver on major promises like proportional representation and adding dental care and pharmaceuticals to the Nation Health plan. Their  slippery directionless response to Chinese intelligence operations in Canada made them look incompetent even though the public expectations on that issue is naive. Trudeau should have gone or announced he was going since he failed to win a majority government in his 3rd election. The party needs a fresh perspective and that requires a new leader. Unfortunately there seems to be no group of senior people who have the clout to make him see it's time to go.

A far as housing goes, Poilievre and his wife own homes they rent out for income. Nothing wrong with that eh?

im sure jagmeet tried hard to lobby for dental care and pharmaceuticals which he did get some success with dental for kids with parents who don't make enough income. in his conference last week he made clear that those would be top priorities for his party.

I dont see a problem with owning more than one home. what gets me is when people start hording. my fathers landlord owns 10 plus properties which is where the problem lies. i think are tax law structure should dis incentivize owning more than 2 or 3 residential properties. alot of corporations are buying up real estate trying to make forever renters which is definitely another part of the problem. there are only two ways to build generational wealth. real estate and education.

Roderick

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2023, 02:14:26 PM »

Yep PP is definitely one of the elite 1%ers, no doubt about it.  And if he has a plan to address any of the issues Canada faces, he has yet to mention it.  But he is really good at being Captain Obvious re the housing crisis. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Roderick

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2023, 02:18:49 PM »

The major issue on the macro level is that the gap between rich and poor is getting bigger every year, and not just in Canada.  At this rate, eventually the middle class will disappear and it will be a few insanely wealthy families ownings 99% of everything, with he rest of us peasants owning the last 1%.  The only answer at that point will be revolution or we will all be left just eating cake.
You shoulda been here yesterday.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 02:28:05 PM »

what's fine for your average Canadian is often not for the PM. Trudeau quickly blundered into conflict of interest guidelines that wouldn't apply to Joe or Jane average. The income inequality gap is certainly the elephant in the room no politician wants to talk about. What would PP say if asked about it?  The market will fix it like it is fixing climate change?

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 03:39:07 PM »

i just want a doctor say no more.

dobrolub

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2023, 05:40:47 PM »

x
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 04:44:18 PM by dobrolub »

sumasriver

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2023, 05:46:21 PM »

I really want to see an election where nobody shows up to vote and not out of apathy, but by choosing to no longer participate in a system that gives no duck about people. I don't think I'll vote cause I don't want to give any more credit to the system. The system looks legit so long as you - voters - take part in this sharade.

I agree.   This election all leaders are really choices i am not prepared to make.

JT - seems to have lost the plot on housing
Pierre - well the guy has never had a real job in his life.  Zero work experience.     Basically a professional politician.   
Jag -  well he seems to stand for nothing .

So i agree.  No chance i will support the current CDN electoral system.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 07:08:23 PM by sumasriver »

dobrolub

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 05:55:52 PM »

x
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 04:44:37 PM by dobrolub »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2023, 06:52:27 PM »

I really want to see an election where nobody shows up to vote and not out of apathy, but by choosing to no longer participate in a system that gives no duck about people. I don't think I'll vote cause I don't want to give any more credit to the system. The system looks legit so long as you - voters - take part in this sharade.

many times my B-inlaw has scribbled on his ballot - none of these choices are acceptable and handed it in.