Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re: Lake Fishing In and Around Merritt  (Read 1589 times)

Tee

Re: Lake Fishing In and Around Merritt
« on: June 11, 2024, 07:09:15 PM »

Hello, I'd like to take my 3 kids aged between 4 and 6 to lake fishing around the area for July long weekend.

We will be fishing from shore.

Suggestions on kind friendly near the city would be much appreciated.

I only fish on days that end with "y".

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 08:45:06 PM »

Hello, I'd like to take my 3 kids aged between 4 and 6 to lake fishing around the area for July long weekend.

We will be fishing from shore.

Suggestions on kind friendly near the city would be much appreciated.
I went for a camping trip last year that same weekend and fished many lakes. I plan to do the same this year. What worked for me was leeches just above a sandy bottom under a float. Lakes in the kane valley and marquart are close to merritt and most have floating docks, you can always check on gofishbc.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 09:02:17 PM »

My top pick would be Marquart Lake. The floating dock is placed at a very productive spot, and the shoreline along the North side is safe and productive too. Parking is also close to where you fish, and you got picnic tables, outhouses nearby, just convenient. Float fish with bait, or fly (balanced leech), both work equally well.

Shea, Boss, Davis also all have floating docks and can be productive too. Little further away from Merritt so would need to be more self sufficient. Marquart is ten minutes away from town so when tantrums happen lol, off to town. ;D

I don't recommend the floating dock at Harmon. The water in front of it is too shallow, most of the fish are elsewhere.

For constant action but smaller fish, Walloper Lake near Lac Le Jeune is a sure bet.

Tee

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 08:01:13 AM »

Many thanks for the tips. It looks I may have upgrade their rods from a toy rods (Disney characters).
I only fish on days that end with "y".

Old Blue

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2024, 08:13:17 AM »

Many thanks for the tips. It looks I may have upgrade their rods from a toy rods (Disney characters).

No need to, they can handle decent fish if the line is in ok shape.  I bought my wife one 15 years ago and she brought in a 22" pennask with it

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2024, 03:29:58 PM »

Walloper, as mentioned before, is usually good spot to hit. Has a nice dock too.