Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When to start walking for SR  (Read 3357 times)

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
When to start walking for SR
« on: June 26, 2024, 09:27:27 AM »

Hey all I've been racking the internet for some answer but they seem as elusive as the target. I'm not looking for places to target as I've found enough vague information on where to go. I'm looking for an answer or riddle even if it has to be such a delivery method of when to start my search. Most posts and such just say summer which is a fairly wide timeline.

Of course I'll take any and all advice on the subject of SR and if anyone can point me towards more informative sources that would be greatly appreciated.

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: When to start walking for SR
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 12:09:13 PM »

So when you say "SR", are you talking about sea run coastal cutthroat trout? Meaning you want to catch coastal cutthroat that are anadromous and you want to catch them in the saltwater?

I'm not being picky; the distinction matters! :) Many folks use the term sea run to refer to any coastal cutthroat, but coastal cutthroat populations can have varied life histories. The words fluvial, adfluvial, potamodromous and anadromous can all be used to describe specific cutthroat trout populations in BC.

But if I understand correctly, you are specifically wondering when to catch anadromous coastal cutthroat when they are in the saltwater?

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 12:20:06 PM »

I was thinking summer run.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 12:28:29 PM »

I was thinking summer run.
I never even thought of that!

And here I was getting all excited about a cutthroat conversation😀

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 01:05:59 PM »

Search and Rescue ?

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 01:11:00 PM »

If you are talking about summer run steelhead, good luck with that around the lower-mainland. That is unless you have the whole summer off and do not mind fishing every day dawn to dusk! I would rather work and save for a nice weeklong trip to a remote northern BC river with a guide and have all the fun you want. It is a lot of money but I'm sure it is worth it.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 01:16:25 PM »

Speckled Rockfish?

canucksfan233

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2024, 06:30:07 PM »

I know cap and seymour get about < 15 between the 2 streams. Figure chehalis/harrison has gotta have some. Thats about it.

canucksfan233

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2024, 06:30:37 PM »

I know cap and seymour get about < 15 combined between the 2 streams. Figure chehalis/harrison has gotta have some. Thats about it.

Sorry meant to modify, but there you go ^

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2024, 08:46:32 PM »

Sorry meant to modify, but there you go ^

The Chehalis never had a native or natural population of Summer runs. There was a program run out of the Chehalis hatchery to provide some fish which were mostly caught in the canyon. That program was cancelled in 2019. If the Cap and Seymour each have less than 15 return per year, why would you even consider targeted summer runs in those systems?
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2024, 09:07:52 PM »

If the Cap and Seymour each have less than 15 return per year, why would you even consider targeted summer runs in those systems?
For the thrill of catching them before they go extinct ::)

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2024, 09:34:55 PM »

Yes by SR I was meaning summer run steel. I know they are not a common fish, but someone must have caught a few over the years and have a vague sense of a time frame. I know where I'd have the best chance numbers wise (still not numerous) but just not sure if I go out this weekend if I'm a month or two early or a month late. Don't get me wrong I'm going regardless lol I need something to do this weekend, I just want the information for the bank and to potentially plan more trips later down the road.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2024, 10:36:25 PM »

The Seymour is closed below Seymour Lake. I have little knowledge of the Chehalis or the Cap. Basically it used to be June into August on the Chehalis. I doubt there is many people left alive who have any direct knowledge on run timing on the Cap.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Silex-user

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2024, 09:52:30 AM »

How far are you willing to travel? Late Brother and I used to fished Vancouver Island waterways a lot. Now days I would look at across the U.S border. More streams with SR steelies than lowermainland.

Silex user

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2024, 10:31:43 AM »

Please respect SR’s because they are becoming more few and far between in our region. Keep them in the water, fight them quick and don’t go lighter than 12lb leader. That being said I usually catch a half dozen every season on the Cap. They are very adaptable to the pressure of all the coho fisherman so they will either hide away from the pressure or keep their mouths shut until the perfect drift of their preferred bait comes by. I’ve caught summers mid day with dozens of coho fishermen disturbing the pool so don’t get discouraged by pressure. Wear polarized sunglasses, get up on the cliffs and bring lots of different colour presentations. Again I want to stress that you will regret using anything lighter than 12 lb as it doesn’t matter how good you think you are at fighting fish, summer steelhead have to be the most broken off fish on the Westcoast.