Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie - How to start salmon fishing in rivers?  (Read 3345 times)

fisherforever

Re: Newbie - How to start salmon fishing in rivers?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2024, 12:40:05 PM »

I remember when we had this conversation a couple of years ago Dave when I was still working at Dart&Tackle. Gord
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 07:28:46 PM by fisherforever »

maple_ridge_mafia

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2024, 04:18:41 PM »

There is some decent fishing in the Alouette at times but just 10 minutes east is the Stave River that usually will have better fishing for coho and chum salmon (when they are open) in the fall. It can be worth fishing through much of the year. Whitefish are usually available in winter and spring plus there is a chance for trout and steelhead.

Thank you for the advice!

-maple_ridge_mafia

maple_ridge_mafia

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2024, 04:20:40 PM »

Some great non-advice here. If I were you I would go down to Hatch Match'r beside Telosky Park and see if I couldn't create a relationship with someone there to mentor you and if this didn't seem like a good fit I would find another store, like Searun in Coquitlam,   and try again. In my experience the staff in stores are really interested in fishing and can point you in the right direction. Of course sites like this help and can offer lots of info. Don't be in a rush to spend big money and observe, observe, observe.
P.S. They are springs or chinook and definitely not kings!

For non-advice that's some pretty good advice! :)

I was thinking of doing something like this as I knew I had that tackle shop in Maple Ridge. I will definitely go there and try to strike up a conversation as I was looking to get gear anyway. Again, thank you very much for the advice!!

-maple_ridge_mafia

maple_ridge_mafia

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2024, 04:23:25 PM »

To start salmon fishing, get a 8ft to 12ft long baitcasting rod in a medium to heavy configuration. then get a good mainline and some good leader material. after get a few Dne (20 gram)  floats, split shots, swivels, hooks (size 1 octopus) and some bait. Baits can vary but for a newbie wool with scent, beads and roe are the best. Then after getting your stuff set up (YouTube how to set up a slip float rig) go to a river that is open to salmon fishing. Right now that would be the Capilano, Chehalis and Chilliwack River. in these rivers, there are trout, steelhead, chinook salmon and coho salmon (the Capilano only has steelhead and coho salmon, and the Chehalis and Chilliwack rivers have chinook salmon and trout.) Head out to one of these rivers either first thing in the am or last light. Find a nice slow deep pool or long run of 5 to 6ft deep walking pace water. set your float depth so that your bait "floats" one foot off of the bottom of the river bed. This makes sure that the fish can see your bait and then bite the bait.  Then cast and cast until a fish bites. after 30 ish minutes to an hour if there is no activity or fish I would pack up to another spot. on the Vedder River, a great place to start would be by banter ice cream. Right out front you can catch salmon and there are miles of river to hike and wade up or down. Also, you will be able to practice your casting and will catch trout.

Thank you for the detailed advice! Is there any advantage of a baitcasting/casting rod over a spinning rod? If so what would that advantage be?

Also, if you don't know what the depth of the pool is, how do you go about figuring out the depth to set your float depth? Also, how do you set your drag? Thank you so much for the spot recommendation! Will definitely check it out.

-maple_ridge_mafia

maple_ridge_mafia

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2024, 04:24:42 PM »

Some great advice from GordJ:

Clears up the meaning of advice for me!

lol! That is a good point.

-maple_ridge_mafia

maple_ridge_mafia

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2024, 04:26:58 PM »

If your weight hangs up, you are fishing too deep. If the bottom of your float points upstream, you may be fishing too deep. I am no expert on drift fishing but my understanding is that most salmon and steelhead stay at least a foot or two off the bottom and you want your bait to dangle above them to some extent. Coho for example look up for their food source, they don't look down. If your bait is below them you chance of a bite drop dramatically. If fish are present and particularly if other anglers are successful adjust the length from float to weight until you have success. No harm in copying what other anglers are doing both in terms of the float to weight length and whatever bait or lure you are using.

Thank you! This is very helpful.

-maple_ridge_mafia

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2024, 04:45:35 PM »

Thanks. Locally jig fishing for salmon has become very popular. Throwing spinners, spoons and even certain kinds of plugs is also effective. If you have experience with either of these methods you might be able to use your existing tackle. While I personally prefer to fly fish I also enjoy chucking spinners and spoons for salmon particularly coho. The rod I currently use is 8 1/2 feet long rated 'medium' 3/8oz to 3/4 oz, 8 to 20lb line. Many people use lighter equipment. If you have light trout gear there is trout fishing in many local lakes with a good number stocked with catchable fish in spring and fall.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 09:29:05 PM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

maple_ridge_mafia

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2024, 05:12:21 PM »

Thanks. Locally jig fishing for salmon has become very popular. Throwing spinners, spoons and even certain kinds of plugs is also effective. If you have experience with either of these methods you might be able to use your existing tackle. While I personally prefer to fly fish I also enjoy chucking spinners and spoons for salmon particularly coho. The rod I currently use if 8 1/2 feet long rated 'medium' 3/8oz to 3/4 oz, 8 to 20lb line. Many people use lighter equipment. If you have light trout gear there is trout fishing in many local lakes with a good number stocked with catchable fish in spring and fall.

I have a rod which is 6.5 feet and is medium action, have mostly used it for trout. Would that work for salmon, or is it too light/short?

-maple_ridge_mafia

Roderick

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2024, 08:37:56 PM »

If you are used to a spinning reel, go ahead and use one.  You can get other reels later once you get started. Spinning reel means spinning rod.  You are going to need a bigger rod, one rated for a maximum of at least 12 pound test (I would go for a 14-15 max rating in case you get a chum in the fall).  The length isn't so important but for coho you need medium-fast action so 9 feet or more. Spool up your reel with line that's less then the max rating of your rod. Set your drag so the rod bends not quite all the way before the line starts to pull out.  Too tight and your rod (or best case your line) breaks.  I've seen it so many times... someone hooks a chinook and tightens the drag - snap. Setting float depth is an art.  Just start short and gradually go deeper.  You will get snags so bring extra hooks/weights/leaders/etc.  Learn how to tie a bait loop for wool/roe.  Get some bait and you are ready to go. When you get there watch what others are doing.  Ask questions if they seem friendly.  And please, don't copy the snaggers, there's already enough of that BS.  If the fish doesn't bite you are not sport fishing. Remember, the only way to really learn is by doing it so get out there and be patient. 

Oh, and don't bother with Capilano in the summer unless we get at least 30mm of rain because there's not enough water for fish passage. 

You shoulda been here yesterday.

maple_ridge_mafia

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2024, 09:41:55 PM »

If you are used to a spinning reel, go ahead and use one.  You can get other reels later once you get started. Spinning reel means spinning rod.  You are going to need a bigger rod, one rated for a maximum of at least 12 pound test (I would go for a 14-15 max rating in case you get a chum in the fall).  The length isn't so important but for coho you need medium-fast action so 9 feet or more. Spool up your reel with line that's less then the max rating of your rod. Set your drag so the rod bends not quite all the way before the line starts to pull out.  Too tight and your rod (or best case your line) breaks.  I've seen it so many times... someone hooks a chinook and tightens the drag - snap. Setting float depth is an art.  Just start short and gradually go deeper.  You will get snags so bring extra hooks/weights/leaders/etc.  Learn how to tie a bait loop for wool/roe.  Get some bait and you are ready to go. When you get there watch what others are doing.  Ask questions if they seem friendly.  And please, don't copy the snaggers, there's already enough of that BS.  If the fish doesn't bite you are not sport fishing. Remember, the only way to really learn is by doing it so get out there and be patient. 

Oh, and don't bother with Capilano in the summer unless we get at least 30mm of rain because there's not enough water for fish passage. 

Wow, thank you so much! Ok, I was thinking of purchasing a rod and reel anyway. I'll probably get a 9.5 foot clarus with a 2500 reel of some sort. Other tips are very helpful!

I'm still not 100% sure on the drag... I see most of the time people have it set so they can pull it out with a bit of effort. Is this ok?

Thank you very much,

-maple_ridge_mafia

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2024, 09:51:28 PM »

I have a rod which is 6.5 feet and is medium action, have mostly used it for trout. Would that work for salmon, or is it too light/short?

-maple_ridge_mafia
Most of the coho we catch locally are 4 to 6 lbs. A 10lb or larger fish is a very good catch and not too common. Such generalisations are more true of hatchery fish than wild and the wild fish have to be released. I'd guess your spinning rod will do for coho. Pink salmon are smaller though this year is not a 'pink' year. Odd numbered years only. Chum are larger and some years 8 to 12lb fish are the norm with some specimens approaching 20. They pull hard but are generally not the best fighters. The last few years chum have done poorly and fishing for them is closed. None of the 3 tend to run far but there are exceptions. I'd guess your rod will do fine for all 3. The reel and line is also important. Many of us have switched to the super braids. They cast farther and allow more line on the reel. As you get some experience and find out what you like you can buy other suitable tackle
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

hammer

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2024, 06:19:58 PM »

One option could be a medium spinning rod in about 8.5-9.0 and cast spinners, jigs,  and crocs. There are lots of videos on this.fot someone starting, floating fishing can be more and you need waders and such. Despite having lots of gear, I sometimes like to grab a spinning rod and couple of crocs and rubber boots and fish slow water. Very simple, very easy as a point of entry.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2024, 09:19:36 PM »

One option could be a medium spinning rod in about 8.5-9.0 and cast spinners, jigs,  and crocs. There are lots of videos on this.fot someone starting, floating fishing can be more and you need waders and such. Despite having lots of gear, I sometimes like to grab a spinning rod and couple of crocs and rubber boots and fish slow water. Very simple, very easy as a point of entry.

This is good advice and bang on re. simple and easy point of entry.  @Chum Slayer was steering the OP towards drift/float fishing and that’s not necessarily the only/best option for someone to begin salmon fishing.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2024, 09:31:49 PM »

Rod's Youtube channel has quite a number of videos on spinning for coho on the Vedder/Chilliwack.

https://www.youtube.com/@FishingwithRod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMke-frpiaY&t=1023s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWgzSCQu-xI&t=13s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDHVLYVaf5c&t=1349s

No one 'needs' to spend more than $100 for a rod and reel combo for coho. Many people do fine with package deals from places like crappy tire.

Spots like the Harrison, Dewdney Slough, Kanaka Creek, Lower Alouette and some of the Surrey streams are probably better fished with spinning gear than drift gear or still fished with bait.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 07:44:59 AM by RalphH »

maple_ridge_mafia

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2024, 11:40:13 PM »

Hmmm, thank you! I will probably try spinning with lures then.

-maple_ridge_mafia