Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slesse creek  (Read 1262 times)

iblly

• Old Timer
Slesse creek
« on: July 19, 2024, 09:21:07 AM »

Went for a hike up Slesse creek yesterday and came across fresh remnants of roe and roe bags. Not good ! Are there red springs that actually go up Slesse ??

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Slesse creek
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 07:21:56 PM »

I would be surprised if anyone has looked for summer reds in this creek.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2024, 09:27:19 PM »

Slesse is closed year round.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2024, 10:24:52 PM »

Yes I’m aware slesse is closed year round I just couldn’t imagine why anyone would be fishing big roe bags for anything else but springs this time of year.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2024, 11:42:35 PM »

Yes I’m aware slesse is closed year round I just couldn’t imagine why anyone would be fishing big roe bags for anything else but springs this time of year.

Did you reach out to either ORR or RAPP?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2024, 07:33:52 AM »

Yes I thought you were aware based on your "Not good" remark. I checked the synopsis to be sure. I have a copy of a DFO stream inventory for the Fraser Valley from 1999 so over 25 years out of date. In the review for the Chilliwack River there are very short remarks for some of the tribs including Slesse which was said to have seen increased returns of salmon while most others had seen declines. I thought it possible these increases are possibly attributable to Slesse being so close to the hatchery. I have no idea if that would include red springs or why some people may fish there now.

Like Clarki I thought a call to RAPP etc is a good idea. Did you notice if there was signage about Slesse being close?  AFAIK they don't  bother to do this anymore.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2024, 09:07:36 AM »

Interesting, maybe there are a few strays that go up there. Lots of signage where you pull in just before the bridge. Drive at your own risk etc. A no trespassing sign that refers to some sort of mine act or regulation. I did not see any no fishing signage.