Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deer Lake or Pitt Lake  (Read 1014 times)

Canadian Anglerz

Deer Lake or Pitt Lake
« on: July 27, 2024, 07:03:10 AM »

Morning,

I have never Bass fished either of these lakes, seen a couple youtube videos and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on if one or the other is better for parking, launching kayak....

I heard to fish Pitt you needed to portage, is this true? I was also told you can launch on Rannie road and not portage.

Thanks for any help.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Deer Lake or Pitt Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2024, 03:08:24 PM »

Deer Lake is probably a shorter drive, the parking is plentiful, and the lake is right next to the parking lot. The lake is a good size for a kayak and a great lake to learn. You're never far from shore and it's sheltered from the elements thanks to a bit of a dip in the landscape.

Pitt is a farther drive, plus an additional paddle upstream to the lake (which can be easier or harder, depending on tides). Pitt is massive and would be much harder to learn. It's also more open to the elements and is farther from aid if you run into trouble.

These lakes are SO different from each other, the answer depends very much on your paddling experience, confidence, and gear. If you have any doubt, try Deer Lake first!

Also: Did this video get you thinking about Pitt Lake? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKU5A86l-1k
The title says it's Pitt Lake, but it's actually Pitt-Addington Marsh. The marsh is comparable to Deer Lake, as far as difficulty goes. Pitt Lake is next to it, but is a completely different experience.

hammer

Re: Deer Lake or Pitt Lake
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2024, 08:18:02 AM »

I think for bass fishing in Pitt Lake, you are actually talking about the marsh south of the lake. There are some areas that you portage but not all. If you look at it in Google Earth, you will see it's a part of a dyke system. I have heard it called several names...Pitt Marsh, Addington Marsh, etc.