Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will Bar Fishing Return To The Fraser River  (Read 2368 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Will Bar Fishing Return To The Fraser River
« on: July 27, 2024, 08:44:11 AM »

I, my friends and my family had so many good days bar fishing many years ago, sorry that many reading this post will not have enjoyed this way of fishing.

https://www.theprogress.com/local-news/sportfishing-reps-push-dfo-for-bar-fishery-pilot-on-fraser-river-7437861

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Will Bar Fishing Return To The Fraser River
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2024, 08:56:49 AM »

This is how it looked many many years ago, you may reconize some of the fishers. No it was not Rodney's camera, one of my old VHS films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZN7pN764Go

SuperBobby

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2024, 09:20:36 AM »

It's a done deal. Bar fishing from the late 80s until it collapsed was a life staple for me. It's very hard to let go of. I have tried several times to put up my bar fishing gear for sale, but I just can't do it.
I still have spin n glos that were tied 30 years ago wrapped around a piece of foam ready to go on the bar rig.
The problem is a political one. The sporties will never be allowed to fish for Chinook as long as the FNs aren't in the river fishing for any salmon. Even when the Chinook are plentiful....if the FNs aren't netting for Sockeye, then we aren't bar fishing for Chinook.....even though the chance of getting a sockeye on a spin n glo is extremely low odds.

Bar fishing as I remember it will never come back to the Fraser.

fisherforever

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2024, 10:17:43 AM »

I really miss those days too Chris but I have to agree with SuperBobby that we'll never see bar fishing again. Too much politics and bowing down to one certain group!

Quin

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2024, 04:18:47 AM »

I don't think it will return, though I hope it does. So many funny stories, tales of magic Spin-n-Glo colours, secret roe cures and more. The days of Herb Kraushar (sp?) and many other legends. It's been many years but I'm still triggered by the "jangle" of a bell.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2024, 10:33:48 AM »

Let’s not forget bar fishing for coho every fall. A way of life is gone because of politics and DFO mismanagement of the resource.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2024, 02:21:48 PM »

I miss bar fishing so much. I grew up fishing for coho on the Fraser each fall with my uncle. Plunking gobc of boraxed Chum roe behind Richie Brothers in Surrey.

How long has it been since the last summer chinook opening and fall coho opening (I mean being open Oct.1st, November is a joke) The last time I bar fished for Chinook in the summer was 2013 I think. I still hold onto my wedge weights and spin glos in hopes that it opens again one day.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2024, 05:00:31 PM »

I've never done the chinook bar fishing around Chilliwack and Agassiz. I certainly know the fall bar fishing below Mission. Not too many years I didn't do that at least once.

Two different problems, well one with 2 problems and the 2nd with just one. While some people think a new Federal government come the Fall 2025 could open up both, we have to wait and see.

The Tidal fall bar fishery was shut down because of the IFS problem. You can carp how unfair and politically motivated it is but that's the reality.

The non-tidal Chinook bar fishery got cut due to the dreadful sockeye numbers - this year is expected to be the worst on record. That and the floss fishery. Until and if sockeye numbers pick up and DFO allows restricted tackle that makes flossing impossible, it will continue to suffer. Too bad as at least the South Thompson run has been good enough for an opening some years in the last several. It does open in the Thompson watershed in those years.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 07:38:36 AM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

Silex-user

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2024, 05:20:00 PM »

Missed those good old days. Spend late summer and Fall months bar fishing around Duncan and 2 bit Bars back in late 1970's and 80's. I remember that I was one originally fisherman started to spin cast for pink salmons or very rare guys to fished for them. Most fishermen was content with just  catching of coho.

Silex-user

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2024, 03:08:18 PM »

Missed those good old days. Spend late summer and Fall months bar fishing around Duncan and 2 bit Bars back in late 1970's and 80's. I remember that I was one originally fisherman started to spin cast for pink salmons or very rare guys to fished for them. Most fishermen was content with just  catching of coho.

Silex-user
We did that too, casting for pinks using spoons and blades under a float from the bar. Then BB ing started,the begining of the end and this where we are now. :'(

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2024, 04:25:27 PM »

Sparrow and climate change/ocean survival

Everything else is just noise and excuses

It won’t open until food needs are met and even the last cycle for sockeye was not enough fn food to open chinook.

Even getting pinks open has been a challenge, don’t want recs on the river because of “conflict’s”

Can say that we dug our own hole or this was our own making ect ect ect bla bla bla but we’re now getting to the point that the younger generations were not even fishing when all occurred but they also have adapted or don’t even know about these fisheries.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2024, 04:33:59 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2024, 05:08:33 PM »

Can say that we dug our own hole or this was our own making ect ect ect bla bla bla but we’re now getting to the point that the younger generations were not even fishing when all occurred but they also have adapted or don’t even know about these fisheries.

explains the massive crowds last Sept on the Fraser...don't even know about these fisheries.

We've seen 1 pink cycle when there was no retention since it first opened in '93?

Should also mention that the early fall coho from post Labour Day to after Thanksgiving has been closed since 97/98?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 05:18:24 PM by RalphH »
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024