Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jet Boats  (Read 1695 times)

dave c

Jet Boats
« on: October 21, 2024, 08:23:44 AM »

Yesterday fishing Norrish Creek i heard a rumbling behind me.  Turned around and to my amazement saw 2 jet boats booking it upstream.  Looked like a scene from Apocalypse Now.  They went above bridge.  The one guy went over a gravel area about 6 inches deep where moments before a couple dozen chum were struggling to move up.  While there is no law against it, I was not impressed.

Jk47

Re: Jet Boats
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2024, 08:47:12 AM »

Norrish?? Really? Wowwwww. That’s disgusting. Get a brain, losers

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2024, 08:53:08 AM »

by the bridge you mean the railway & vehicle bailey bridge?

The section of stream that flows by  Hwy 7 is Nicomen slough. The Slough has a 5mph speed limit.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2024, 10:01:25 AM »

Really?! Norrish? That's kind of disgusting.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2024, 10:24:07 AM »

Man, at high water there’s not much clearance between the the bailey bridge and the water.

roeman

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2024, 03:44:34 PM »

That is what they are built for, no fun running up the Fraser.  Agree there should be some common sense and respect.  But that is a joke these days.  There are rivers up in the Skeena area where power boats are banned and there is more than enough water to run them.  Kitimat River for one.  Rafts or drift boats only.  Someone up there was smart enough to put restrictions on the river.  Anyone know who to contact to have rivers down here get restrictions put on.  Municipal, Provincial, Federal???? Vedder, Chehalis, Norrish would be a good place to start. 
Are you fishin or catchin

fisherforever

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2024, 05:35:47 PM »

Any restrictions have to be done through Transport Canada

Jk47

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2024, 05:53:09 PM »

Ha! Good luck with that one! Maybe when the majority wakes up and elects a much needed conservative government the issues that actually effect the average Canadian will be be addressed and more money will become available to fund such endeavors instead of supporting never ending wars and lining corrupt politicians and corporations pockets.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2024, 05:59:09 PM »

Meatheads were probally looking for Rufus.  :o

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2024, 09:02:25 PM »

Best I know it has to be initiated by local government - so for Norrish it would be the FV Regional District.It takes awhile and it always has because they have to change the regulations of the specific act.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!" ...Mark Twain

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2024, 09:02:41 PM »

dp

dave c

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2024, 07:10:45 AM »

by the bridge you mean the railway & vehicle bailey bridge?

The section of stream that flows by  Hwy 7 is Nicomen slough. The Slough has a 5mph speed limit.
Yes Ralph under the railway & vehicle bailey bridge.  The one boat went down the same way he came up.  He would have killed many chum as they were stacked up there trying to get upstream.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2024, 08:26:53 AM »

It would be up to DFO to determine if such action could result in a violation ticket.I think willfully or recklessly killing salmon is a ticketable act. Of course they'd need evidence. You witnessing it is evidence as would evidence of dead or injured salmon. Not a bad idea to give them a call or an email.

Problem with a lot of this stuff is there is never anyone around to enforce it. I have seen jet boat operators break regulations but when is the last time anyone saw an RCMP boat or DFO on the water to see it as well? Basically it's the wild west. Fortunately most boat operators are conscientious and responsible.   

GordJ

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2024, 10:56:57 AM »

That is what they are built for, no fun running up the Fraser.  Agree there should be some common sense and respect.  But that is a joke these days.  There are rivers up in the Skeena area where power boats are banned and there is more than enough water to run them.  Kitimat River for one.  Rafts or drift boats only.  Someone up there was smart enough to put restrictions on the river.  Anyone know who to contact to have rivers down here get restrictions put on.  Municipal, Provincial, Federal???? Vedder, Chehalis, Norrish would be a good place to start.
I am not positive but I think that the no motor restriction on the Kitimat is a local myth. I seem to remember, years ago, trying to find the reg and ended up being told by the local cops that it is an unwritten law. I may be confusing it with the Bella Coola though. The Transport Canada regs are so convoluted that I couldn't confirm this.

dave c

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2024, 12:47:46 PM »

It would be up to DFO to determine if such action could result in a violation ticket.I think willfully or recklessly killing salmon is a ticketable act. Of course they'd need evidence. You witnessing it is evidence as would evidence of dead or injured salmon. Not a bad idea to give them a call or an email.

Problem with a lot of this stuff is there is never anyone around to enforce it. I have seen jet boat operators break regulations but when is the last time anyone saw an RCMP boat or DFO on the water to see it as well? Basically it's the wild west. Fortunately most boat operators are conscientious and responsible.
Ralph FWIW i just emailed DFO... Will advise of any follow up from them.