The Art of Czech Nymphing, Presented by Todd Oishi
Posted on February 13th 2013, by Hatch Match'r Fly & Tackle
Hatch Match'r Fly & Tackle in Maple Ridge will be hosting a seminar on czech nymphing, presented by Todd Oishi, on March 23rd.
It's a well-known fact that over 90% of a trout's feeding activity occurs below the surface of the
water. In order to capitalize on this fact, fly fishers would be wise to learn about (and use) the most effective techniques & tactics for successfully targeting them. Czech Nymphing is one such method and considered by many to be one of the most effective techniques and methods for targeting trout and a variety of other fish in rivers and streams, as it allows fly fishers to effectively present their flies to actively feeding fish and in locations that many anglers consider to be unfishable while using conventional fly fishing techniques.
The Art of Czech Nymphing course provides an in-depth study and introduction to this highly effective European nymphing technique, which was developed and refined by competitive fly fishers in central Europe. This course is based on Todd's observations and the coaching he received during
several trips to Europe, as well as his personal experimentations and adaptations of these techniques in order to suit our province's "single fly only" angling regulation. You'll learn how to construct a variety of nymphing leader systems, and identify the fly patterns that have proved to be most effective for this technique. You'll also learn how to read water and identify the locations that tend to hold the greatest concentrations and numbers of fish.
This course will ultimately change the way that you approach and fish rivers and streams, and
significantly improve your overall catch-rate!
- Date: Saturday, March 23rd, 2013
- Time: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Location: Hatch Match'r Learning Center (#9 22935 Lougheed Highway, Maple Ridge)
- Cost: $60.00 per student.
- Registration: Please call 604-467-7118 **NO ONLINE REGISTRATIONS AVAILABLE**
- Introduction to Czech Nymphing
- Leader Construction
- Thoughts on Fly Patterns
- Reading and Identifying Productive Water
- Understanding the Take
- Short Line Nymphing Techniques
- Long Line Nymphing Techniques
- Enhanced Strike Detection
- Other European Nymphing Techniques
- Fly Tying Demonstration of Several of Todd's Favorite Patterns
- There will be an on-the-water demonstration that will be held at a nearby location (waders and
boots are optional).