Go Fish BC's Summer Learn to Fish Program
Posted on July 15th 2013, by Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC
If you are a parent who is not sure where to take your children fishing this summer, then you may want to consider Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC's Learn to Fish summer program at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery and Visiting Centre in Abbotsford.
Each session is $10 per person. Parents are welcome for free if they don't want to fish.
The Learn to Fish program is 3 to 4 hours long and covers a little bit about the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, a hatchery tour (feed some sturgeon, char and trout!), rod rigging and knot tying, casting, and one hour of fishing on our heavily stocked ponds. It is a perfect way of getting people into fishing - either kids or adults newer to the sport! The program is adjusted based on the age of the people attending.
If you have participated in the learn to fish program in the past, you can also simply drop in for the open fishing session. The open fishing is just two hours of fishing down at the ponds with one of the hatchery staff to help you out. Having attended a learn to fish program is preferred before booking one of these! It is a great way to spend a few hours with the kids as they are sure to catch some fish!
All gear and tackle are provided, but please feel free to bring your own.
Beside these sessions at the hatchery, the learn to fish program is also taking place this summer at various provincial parks!
- Alouette Lake - Provincial Park - no registration required, July 17th from 10am until 12pm
- Green Timbers Lake - Registration required (phone Surrey Nature Centre 604-502-6065), July 18th from 6pm until 8pm
- Como Lake - Registration required, July 19th from 6pm until 8pm
- Cultus Lake - Provincial Park - no registration required, July 19th from 10am until 12pm
- Hicks Lake - Provincial Park - no registration required, July 20th from 10am until 12pm
- Rice Lake - No registration required, July 21st from 10am until 12pm
If anyone is interested in one of these Learn to Fish programs or Open Fishing, please give the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery a call at 604-504-4716 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.